“I’m delighted to announce that the Ministry of Education has purchased 90-120 Bennett Road in Waipatu, Hastings, to provide a long-term home for the kura,” says Ms Kaye.
“This is a great outcome for both the kura and the community. The site provides plenty of room for future growth and development, and its location will enable the kura to build on its local cultural connections.
“I’d like to acknowledge the patience of teachers, students and whanau who have had to wait for a new site to be identified, after an earlier site earmarked for the kura was ruled out on environmental grounds.
“Student safety and wellbeing is always paramount, and the Ministry must be guided by due process to ensure sites chosen for education purposes meet required standards.”
Mr Macindoe says around $12 million will be invested in the land purchase, design and construction of facilities for the new kura.
“The process to designate the new site for education purposes is now underway,” says Mr Macindoe.
“It’s estimated that designation could be confirmed early in 2018. In the meantime, the Ministry will progress a master plan for the new kura and prepare for the capital works project.
“Our investment in the kura means we’ve now committed around $37 million for education infrastructure projects in Hawkes Bay since June 2016.
“This is part of this Government’s record investment of over $5 billion to upgrade and expand schools nationwide since 2008.”
Recent investments announced for Hawke’s Bay schools
- Havelock North Primary School, $1.9m approx for four new classrooms, on-track for delivery by October 2017
- Lucknow Primary School, $1m approx for two new classrooms, on-track for delivery by December 2017
- Te Mata Primary School, $1m approx for two new classrooms, on-track for delivery by December 2017
- Eskdale School, $0.8m approx for two new classrooms, on-track for delivery by October 2017
- Clive School, $0.4m approx for one new classroom, on-track for delivery by October 2017
- Greenmeadows School, $0.8m approx for two new classrooms, on-track for delivery in Term 1, 2019
- Flaxmere College, $14m approx redevelopment, on-track for completion in early 2019
- Kimi Ora Community School, $5m approx redevelopment, on-track for completion in early 2019.